A Tatkal Passport is an important document that is issued by a country’s government and allows its holder to travel to other countries without any trouble. This official document ensures a person’s smooth entry into a foreign country. Moreover, a passport acts as an official, valid proof of identity and address that enables its holder to access various public and private services.
The Passport and Visa Division of the Ministry of External Affairs has entrusted the consular with the task of issuing passports to Indian citizens. This article talks about Tatkal Passports and their features. Moreover you are able to know how you apply for this passport with easier process. Moreover How you are able to renew this passport.
What is a Tatkal Passport?
A Tatkal passport is a passport that is issued faster than a normal passport. It is meant for urgent or emergency situations, such as medical treatment, death of a relative, or travel for education or employment.
Who can apply for a Tatkal Passport?
Anyone who is an Indian citizen and has a valid proof of identity and address can apply for a Tatkal passport. However, there are some categories of applicants who cannot apply under the Tatkal scheme, such as:
- Those who have a criminal record or pending court cases
- Those who have been issued a passport earlier but did not submit it for cancellation
- Those who have lost or damaged their passport more than once
- Those who are citizens of Nagaland
What are the documents required for a Tatkal Passport?
To apply for a Tatkal passport, you need to submit any three of the following documents along with your passport application form:
- Aadhaar card
- PAN card
- Voter ID card
- Driving license
- Bank passbook
- Ration card
- School leaving certificate
- Birth certificate
- Income tax return
- Electricity or water bill
If you are below 18 years of age, you need to submit any two of the above documents.
How to apply for a Passport online?
The steps to apply for a Tatkal passport online are as follows:
- Register on the Passport Seva website
- Log in using your credentials
- Choose ‘Fresh/Re-issue’
- Select “Tatkal” as the scheme
- Download, fill out, and submit the application form
- Pay online and print the receipt
- Schedule an appointment at your local Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)
How to apply for a offline?
The steps to apply for a Tatkal passport offline are as follows:
- Visit your nearest District Passport Cell (DPC) or Speed Post Center (SPC)
- Collect and fill out the application form
- Attach the required documents and photographs
- Pay the fee in cash or by demand draft
- Submit the application and get an acknowledgement receipt
- Visit the PSK on the given date and time
How much is the fee for a Passport?
The fee for a Tatkal passport depends on the number of pages and the age of the applicant. The fee structure is as follows:
|Type of Passport
|Fee for 36 pages
|Fee for 60 pages
|Fresh/Re-issue for adults
|Fresh/Re-issue for minors
How long does it take to get a Tatkal Passport?
After successful application form submission, with final status as “Granted”, you can expect your passport to be dispatched on the third working day, excluding the date of submission of application – without waiting for the Police Verification Report. However, the delivery time may vary depending on the postal service and the location of the applicant.
How to check the status of a Tatkal Passport?
You can check the status of your Tatkal passport application online by visiting the Passport Seva website¹ and clicking on “Track Application Status”. Applier need eed to enter your file number and date of birth to view the status. You can also call the toll-free number 1800-258-1800 or send an SMS to 9704100100 with your file number to get the status.
What are the benefits of a Tatkal Passport?
The benefits of a Tatkal passport are:
- It is issued faster than a normal passport
- It does not require a verification certificate from a gazetted officer
- It can be applied online or offline
- It can be used for any purpose, such as travel, education, or employment
What are the drawbacks of a Passport?
The drawbacks of a Tatkal passport are:
- It is more expensive than a normal passport
- It has limited availability of appointments and slots
- It may not be issued to some categories of applicants
- It may be subject to post-issuance verification and cancellation