The Greater Chennai Corporation has Fixed a reasonable letting value resembles Annual rental value to the Property holders in the Chennai. GCC has fixed a value per sq.feet. Corporation has fixed Rs 0.60 – Rs 2.40 Per sq .feet to Residential Properties and Rs.4 – Rs.12 per sq. Feet for Non Residential Properties. In this article you are going to know more GCC Property Tax
The final date to pay the tax to Corporation is 30th September. 2% Penalty will be added if the due is not paid on time.In this article, I will tell you everything about property tax of Chennai City., how much you have to pay, how you can pay it on the internet, and what are the good things and discounts you can get..
Municipal Corporation Of Chennai
Chennai municipal Corporation has launched in the year 1998.Madras court slammed GCC for not collecting Property tax for every year from the year 1998. Estimating 1500 crore rupees that lost by the Government because of not collecting dues.
GCC officer’s are Trying very hard to increase Tax to 150 crore every year. But Property tax is a tax in which that people who have land, buildings, or other things that should pay to the local government. And The local government uses this money to do good things for the city like management and repairing roads, water, and lights. The Greater Chennai Corporation (GCC) is the local government for Chennai city and it collects property tax from people.
Overview of Gcc
|Name of the scheme||Beneficiary||Applications Type||Department||Official website||Online/ Offline|
|Property Tax Incentive Scheme||Assessees who pay property tax in advance or within 15 days of tax starting cycle (April 1-15 and October 1-15)||Property Tax||Revenue Department||[Welcome to Greater Chennai Corporation]||Online|
|Property Tax/CellPhone Tower-Calculator||Assessees who want to calculate their property tax or cellphone tower tax||Property Tax||Revenue Department||[Welcome to Greater Chennai Corporation]||Online|
|Property Tax Online Payment||Assessees who want to pay their property tax online||Property Tax||Revenue Department||[Welcome to Greater Chennai Corporation]||Online|
|Property Tax Rules / Procedure||Assessees who want to know the rules and procedures for property tax assessment, payment, revision, etc.||Property Tax||Revenue Department||[Welcome to Greater Chennai Corporation]||Online|
What are GCC Property tax Exemption
- Buildings which are Older than 4 years are reduced 1% in the Due.
- Owner of a portion in the Building can get 10% Rebate in the tax
- Residential building Owner Can get 25% refund
- Semi-Permanent Buildings Can get 25% rebate
- Places of worship
- Government buildings
- Foreign Embassies
- Clean land
GCC Property Tax Rates In Chennai
|Annual Rental value||Tax Percentage|
|Above Rs. 5000||9.00%|
How to Pay GCC Property Tax Online
To pay GCC property tax online, therefore you need to follow these steps:
- first of all visit the Greater Chennai Corporation’s website.@ https://Chennaicorporation.gov.in/
- On the homepage you are able to see the option Online Civic Services
- Click on the ‘Online Civic Services’ option available in the right hand bar.
- Click on ‘Property Tax’ and then on the ‘Property Tax Online Payment’.
- Enter the property location details along with the Property Bill No. which can be found on the property receipt of last year.
- Choose the payment mode and complete the transaction.
- You will receive an online payment receipt which you can download or print for future reference.
How to pay property tax offline in Chennai?
To pay property tax offline in Chennai, follow these steps:
- Visit the nearest GCC office or authorized center.
- Get your property tax bill from the counter or print it online .
- Pay your property tax by cash, cheque, or demand draft.
- Collect your payment receipt.
How to Calculate Chennai Property Tax Online
- Monthly Rental Value = Basic Rate ×Plinth Area per Sq.feet
- Annual Rental Value = Monthly Rental value×12-10% for the land.
- For Reduction and Maintenance 10% Reduction will be used.
|Plinth area||Basic rate per sq. ft.||Annual rental value||Property tax|
|1,000 sq. ft.||Rs 2.40||Rs 60,000||Rs 2,400 + Rs 60,000 = Rs 62,400|
Procedure To Check your Property Tax Status
To check GCC property tax, you need to follow these steps:
- first of visit the Greater Chennai Corporation’s website
- On the homepage you are able to see the menu bar.
- after that you need to Click on the ‘Online Civic Services’ option available in the right hand bar.
- now you have to Click on ‘Property Tax’ and then on the ‘Property Tax Status / Paytax’.
- Enter the property location details along with the Property Bill No. Although which can be found on the property receipt of last year.
- You will see the property tax details such as the assessment year, half year, tax amount, penalty, total amount, etc.
- You can also use the online property tax calculator available on the GCC’s website to estimate your property tax based on some basic details related to the type of the building, number of floors, occupancy, and location.
What are the benefits and exemptions of tax
The GCC offers various benefits and exemptions for property owners who can pay their property tax on time :
- A rebate or Discount of 5% on the annual rental value when the property tax is paid fully before April 15th of every year.
- Exemption of 25% on the annual rental value if the property has a rainwater harvesting system is installed previous and maintaining that system properly.
- you will get an exemption of 25% on the annual rental value if the property has a solar power system installed and you should use for only domestic purpose.
- An exemption of 50% on the annual rental value if the property is used exclusively for educational or charitable purposes by a registered trust or society.
- An exemption of 100% on the annual rental value if the property is used as a place of worship by any religious community for example mosque, Temple as like as churches.
To avail these benefits and exemptions, property owners need to submit the relevant documents and certificates to the GCC along with their property tax payment.
What are the benefits of paying property tax online in Chennai?
Paying property tax online in Chennai has many benefits such as:
- It saves time and effort by avoiding long queues and travel.
- It is available 24/7, so you can pay your tax at any time of the day.
- It is secure and transparent, as you can track your payment status and history online.
- It is eco-friendly as you can reduce paper usage and waste.
- It offers incentives and discounts for timely payment.
What are the incentives and discounts for paying property tax online in Chennai?
The GCC offers incentives and discounts for paying property tax online in Chennai, such as:
- If you pay your property tax for the second half of the year by October 15, 2023, you will get 5% of the incentive amount .
- If you pay your property tax for the whole year in advance, you will get 10% of the incentive amount.
- If you are a senior citizen, a differently-abled person, or a widow, you will get 50% of the concession on your property tax.
What are the penalties and consequences for not paying property tax online in Chennai?
Not paying property tax online in Chennai can have penalties and consequences, such as:
- You will have to pay a fine of 2% per month on the overdue amount.
- You will lose the incentives and discounts offered by the GCC.
- You will face legal action and seizure of your property by the GCC.
- You will affect the development and maintenance of the city.
How to check your property tax status and history online in Chennai?
You can check your property tax status and history online in Chennai by following these steps:
- Visit the official website of the Greater Chennai Corporation.
- Click on Online Services tab on the home page.
- Click on Property Tax tab.
- Enter your property tax bill number or your zone, division, bill, and sub numbers.
- Click on Submit button.
- View your property tax status and history.
How to contact the GCC for any queries or complaints regarding property tax online in Chennai?
You can contact the GCC for any queries or complaints regarding property tax online in Chennai by using these methods:
- Call the GCC helpline number 1913 or 044 – 2538 3614.
- Email the GCC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit the GCC website and click on Complaints tab on the home page.
- Visit the GCC office or authorized center in person..
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: change mobile number in Chennai property tax,
Ans: To change mobile number in Chennai property tax, visit [this website] and enter your details and new number. You will receive an OTP for verification.
Q:What Is Chennai property tax due date
Ans: Chennai property tax due date is September 31 and March 31 every year. You can pay online or offline. Late payment will incur penalty and interest.
Q:Chennai property tax assessment number
Ans: Chennai property tax assessment number is a unique identifier for your property. You can find it on your tax bill or online